Thursday 22 January 2009

Film Synopsis

My chosen pitch is film brief 3, an independent film featuring a young protagonist. My pitch is:

A young girl moves to Germany from Russia - she begins to realize what effects and devastation WW2 caused not only Russia, but her own country.

This is exactly 25 words and therefore fits the 25 word synopsis. I think it is an effective brief because it leaves you as the audience, wondering what is going to happen, and because it relates to war it fits the brief of appealing to an adult audience. It also reminds me a little of the story of Anne Frank.

Anne Frank was a German born Jewish girl who was known worldwide with the publication of her diary that recounted all her experiences when the Germans occupied the Netherlands in World War II. Anne was born on June 12, 1929 and she, along with her family, went into hiding in July 1942. Two years later, her family was captured and seven months from her arrest, Anne Frank died due to typhus in early March 1945.

I also thought of doing the film similar to a monologue, for example the monologues of 'Talking Heads' by Alan Bennett. I am still considering creating the opening sequence of the film in after effects or using animation, as it would be near impossible to recreate world war 2 and to film the movie opening.

This film still reminds me of 'The Boy In Striped Pyjamas' due to the storyline and the idea of the young protagonist. I think this is a good film to relate my opening sequence to because it is relevant to the idea of film and does not really appeal to a young or teenage audience.

No comments: