Wednesday 4 March 2009

Looking back at your preliminary task (the continuity editing task), what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product?

From our first preliminary task, I did not have a lot of knowledge about continuity as we had only just started the course. Since then, i now know how continuity works after doing another continuity exercise and editing it all myself, it is quite hard to get it all correct. I have learnt when editing it it is best to edit in in certain 'action points' and shoot from both angles and then cut and put into a correct order.

I did not know that continuity errors can be so easy to make, therefore it is essential to pay attention to small details such as nothing has changed during the sequence, for example if a door is open in one shot and closed in another, this is a continuity error and these errors are often easy to make.


While doing the continuity task we learnt an extensive amount about editing, such as breaking the 180 degree rule, shot reverse shot, over the shoulder shot etc and I think this has helped me, perhaps not in my opening sequence as i did not film much, but in anything i shoot using a camera.

My film opening sequence is more similar to a montage rather than a continuity editing film opening. I did not shoot alot, favouring to have dialogue and subtitles explain the story rather than alot of various shots - and because of this i think my film is more like a montage than a continuity film opening.

No comments: